Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 01:12:10 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to limit the number of guesses?

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 05:07:22PM -0400, Rafael Veras wrote:
> Is it possible to use both externals simultaneously?

No, but:

> I guess I could just merge them in a custom external as the code is very
> simple...

This is the way to go.  Here's an example:

[List.External:Status50G]
int n, m;

void init()
{
	n = m = 0;
}

void filter()
{
	if (++n < 1000000000)
		return;
	n = 0;
	status = ++m % 50 == 0;
	abort = m >= 1000;
}

This prints the status line after every 50G candidates, and terminates
after 1000G (10^12) candidates.

Alexander