Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 09:20:09 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: pwsafe2john - How to use this program, preferably
 in Windows or in Linux if Windows is a no-go?

You should be using https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper
> gcc pwsafe2john.c -o pwsafe2john  # from src/ folder
> That complained that there was an undefined reference to 'main'
>
> So I changed the pwsafe2john name in the pwsafe2john.c file to main
> Then recompiled with no errors (not sure this was the right 'fix')
Just building john itself is enough to build "pwsafe2john" program which
gets put in "run" sub-folder.

> Then ran
>     ./pwsafe2john pwsafe.psafe3 > pwsafedump
>
> That complained "Couldn't find PWS3 magic string. Is this a Password Safe file?"
>
> Well it is a Password Safe file, but from a Windows environment, not sure if that matters.
>
> Using UltraEdit on the pwsafe.psafe3 file, it shows the first 4 characters as PWS3. So I think the file is the correct one.

This one is a puzzling. I just tested pwsafe2john with samples
downloaded from http://openwall.info/wiki/john/sample-non-hashes and it
works fine. The samples were mostly generated on M$ Windows.

Can you try running pwsafe2john on files inside
http://openwall.info/wiki/_media/john/Sample-Password-Safe-Safes.tar
archive?

> So I am a bit of a fish out of water on this program.
>
> Any suggestions on how to successfully extract the hash from the pwsafe.psafe3 file so I can feed it to JTR to try to crack?

No worries. After some debugging and patching it will work :-)

- Dhiru