Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 01:01:07 +0000
From: John Hall <JohnH@...tworking.com>
To: "'john-users@...ts.openwall.com'" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: pwsafe2john - How to use this program, preferably in Windows or in
 Linux if Windows is a no-go?

Attempting to extract the hash from the program Password Safe http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/ to see if I can recover my forgotten main password for this program.

Was hoping to use the program pwsafe2john to extract it. However, I don't seem to know how to use this program.

1.       I tried the following under Ubuntu (running in a VM on Win 7):
git clone git://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo

gcc pwsafe2john.c -o pwsafe2john  # from src/ folder
./pwsafe2john pwsafe.psafe3 > pwsafedump
../run/john pwsafedump

That complained that there was an undefined reference to 'main'

So I changed the pwsafe2john name in the pwsafe2john.c file to main
Then recompiled with no errors (not sure this was the right 'fix')

Then ran
   ./pwsafe2john pwsafe.psafe3 > pwsafedump

That complained "Couldn't find PWS3 magic string. Is this a Password Safe file?"

Well it is a Password Safe file, but from a Windows environment, not sure if that matters.

Using UltraEdit on the pwsafe.psafe3 file, it shows the first 4 characters as PWS3. So I think the file is the correct one.

So I am a bit of a fish out of water on this program.

Any suggestions on how to successfully extract the hash from the pwsafe.psafe3 file so I can feed it to JTR to try to crack?

(In the best of worlds, the "solution" would be in Windows as my comfort level is higher there, but I can use Linux if that is what is needed).

Thanks,

John H.