Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:12:27 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Word files?

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Paul van Hoven
<paul.van.hoven@...glemail.com> wrote:
> A small hint: I had to replace mktemp by mkdtemp in office2john.c in
> order to get the file compiled.

Strange. Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

> Now I got a working binary in the run folder. I created a MS Office
> 2008 for Mac (Version 12.2.0) document encrypted it with the simple
> password "password" and tried to decrypt it with office2john, this was
> the result:
> parallels@...ntu:~/Downloads/magnumripper-magnum-jumbo-47a6d4e/run$
> ./office2john /media/psf/Home/Downloads/TestEncrypted.docx
> /media/psf/Home/Downloads/TestEncrypted.docx : office2johntNuMqb: File exists

Can you delete "office2johntNuMqb" folder and try again?

> So this might be due to fact that it is not a office 2007 or office
> 2010 file?

Please post the file (along with the password) for debugging.

> So am I doing something wrong here?

It seems that office2john is buggy. office2john is a crappy program
and will soon be re-written in Python.

Thanks for the report.

--
Cheers,