Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 13:25:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Brad Tilley" <brad@...ystems.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Performance Considerations of stdin

Hello John Users,

What, if any, performance considerations are there when passing word
candidates to JTR via stdin? I plan on doing some tests to see first-hand,
but before doing so I wanted to ask here in case others have had some
experience with this.

Basically, I'm wondering if a word generation program that passed words
into JTR via stdin would perform better than when JTR is doing both word
mangling and hash generation, hash testing, etc all by itself.

ehco -n word | john --sdtin

Has anyone had experience performance testing something such as this?

Thanks for any advice,

Brad