Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:57:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: faster Lotus5 hash cracking (was: JtR CUDA ????)

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:13:23AM +0800, Gu George wrote:
> I have tried to crack some Lotus Domino hashes by John-1.7.7-jumbo. I used
> following command: .\john.exe --incremental -format:lotus5
> .\noCrackedHash_1.txt,

BTW, there's a newer build for Windows here:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/custom-builds#Compiled-for-Windows

As far as I am aware, it is not any faster at Lotus5 hashes, though.

> and the benchmark is about  94508K c/s.

I guess this is not the benchmark, but rather speed seen while cracking.
It depends on the number of hashes loaded for cracking a lot.

> I have
> sucessfully carcked about 100 hashes in about 2 weeks, but there are about
> 300 hashes which are not carcked.

Sounds reasonable.

> My PC has an Intel i7,8 core CPU@...z.

You mean quad-core, 8 logical CPUs.

> So, my question is: is there a more fast version of John-Ripper, such as
> CUDA support?

For this hash type, no.

> I have checked http://openwall.info/wiki/john/GPU, it seems
> current patches do not support Lotus5 format.

That's correct.

> Another question: Is it possible to configure John-Ripper to run more
> faster in my PC?

Yes: you need to run 8 instances of it in parallel, configured to try
different candidate passwords and using different --session names.
If doing this for 8 instances is difficult, then do it for at least 4 -
e.g., you may split by length:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/parallelization#IncrementalAllN

You can also try building with MPI support, but that's more difficult.

I guess we should implement OpenMP parallelization for this hash type,
but we haven't done so yet.

Alexander

P.S. Your reuse of the old thread for a mostly unrelated topic was in
fact undesirable.