Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:37:06 +0100
From: Nigel Sollars <nsollars@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux MIPS

Hey,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:32:07AM -0400, Nigel Sollars wrote:
> > You are indeed correct they are big endian and it is mips ( 64bit linux
> ) vs
> > mipsel ( 32bit ).
>
> I think you're confused.  What I meant is that your generic.h is correct
> for your system and given compiler settings (the program producing it
> autodetects endianness and word size), but you could do better by
> tweaking the options to gcc.  Then different settings would be in effect
> and would be autodetected.
>
> This will not help you build -jumbo, but it may result in a speedup
> without -jumbo.  For -jumbo, we're waiting for JimF to look into the
> issue you reported previously.
>
> > I added -mtune=mips64 and -mips64 to the CFLAGS,  and also just -mips64,
> it
> > breaks here
>
> I literally meant "-m64" and only it.  Can you just try that?  And also
> stop trying to build -jumbo for now.

-m64 is not a known option in the compiler ( unknown ) and the build bombs,
 which is why I used -mips64, from what i read this seems to be a sparc64
flag.

> > here is the out put from uname ( not given previously )
> >
> > root@...y:/usr/src/john-1.7.8/src# uname -a
> > Linux indy 2.6.32-5-r4k-ip22 #1 Mon Oct 3 13:56:54 UTC 2011 mips64
> GNU/Linux
>
> So you appear to be running a 64-bit kernel indeed.  What does
> /proc/cpuinfo say?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R4000
>
> "... announced on 1 October 1991, it was one of the first 64-bit
> microprocessors ..."
>
> ...and you probably actually have something newer than an r4k.
>
> Also, since you were able to get non-jumbo to work, would you submit
> your benchmark results to the wiki? -
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/benchmarks
>
> Alexander

I will get you all the other answers when I get back home, am on a business
trip at present.

--
“Science is a differential equation. Religion is a boundary condition.”

Alan Turing