Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 05:17:04 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper 1.7.8-jumbo-7

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 04:27:07PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 14:35, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > * More character encodings are now supported.  The full list is: raw,
> > utf-8, iso-8859-1, iso-8859-7, iso-8859-15, koi8-r, cp437, cp737, cp850,
> > cp858, cp866, cp1251, cp1252, cp1253.
> > * Full encoding support for "single crack" mode, rules, and character
> > classes has been implemented. (JimF/magnum)
>
> Does this work with incremental mode?

No.  Incremental mode is unaware of character encodings.  With
incremental mode, the candidate passwords produced are based on whatever
octets were seen in sample passwords in john.pot from which .chr files
were generated, additionally limited to the CHARSET_MIN to CHARSET_MAX
range and to whatever external filter() was used.

So if you had passwords in a certain character encoding in your john.pot
at the time you generated .chr files from it, then incremental mode's
candidate passwords will be biased towards that encoding.  This also
works for a mix of multiple character encodings in john.pot, with each
of them gaining some weight even though the code is not aware of any.

> I am guessing it will require
> the changes to make longer than 8 character limit since even
> iso-8859-1 would add 90? characters to the 95 currently stored per
> line.

Yes, that's the CHARSET_MIN to CHARSET_MAX limitation I mentioned above.

> I will try to get john rpms for Fedora/RHEL done by this weekend.

Sounds great.

Thanks,

Alexander