Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:27:07 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper 1.7.8-jumbo-7

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 14:35, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just released John the Ripper 1.7.8-jumbo-7:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/john/
>
> As is usual with community-enhanced releases like this, my role was
> mostly limited to making the release itself, whereas most of the code
> changes are by others in the community (thanks!)
>
> There have been lots of changes since 1.7.8-jumbo-5.  Here are some that
> we managed to recall:

> * John now makes an attempt to suppress duplicate rules (handy along
> with the ".include" feature). (JimF)

Very cool

> * More character encodings are now supported.  The full list is: raw,
> utf-8, iso-8859-1, iso-8859-7, iso-8859-15, koi8-r, cp437, cp737, cp850,
> cp858, cp866, cp1251, cp1252, cp1253.
> * Full encoding support for "single crack" mode, rules, and character
> classes has been implemented. (JimF/magnum)

Does this work with incremental mode? I am guessing it will require
the changes to make longer than 8 character limit since even
iso-8859-1 would add 90? characters to the 95 currently stored per
line.

I will try to get john rpms for Fedora/RHEL done by this weekend.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren