Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:17:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MPI / OpenMPI

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:51:25AM -0500, Richard Miles wrote:
> Thanks Solar Designer. I don't have a specific session value for my
> brute-force so I don't know if it does difference, but john --status
> give the progress status. At the moment I'm using a simple shell
> script just to call john in loop with all combinations of Korelogic
> rules...

This discussion thread is/was about parallel processing.

> Also, there is a way to see the current password tested as we see
> pressing "enter"?

No, this information is not stored in .rec files.

> As john is being called by a shell script the enter doesn't work too.

It would work if you let those john's run in the foreground (as long as
you run just one at a time anyway), but apparently you background them
(such as by ending the shell commands with "&")?

> Also, I will update my script to execute 3 john instances per time
> since I have 4 cores

Why not run 4 instances then (or even 8 in case you also have 2 logical
CPUs per core, which is common)?  If you're worried about impact on your
computer's interactive response time, then the "Idle = Y" setting
(default) should take care of that just fine.

Be sure to use separate --session names for the 4 instances.

> and make sure to send killall -HUP john I load 3 new...

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.  The HUP is only needed
right before you query the --status.

Alexander