Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:51:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Sha-256

Hi,

There's john-1.7.6-sha256cuda-0.diff on the wiki:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches

This is a patch by Lukas Odzioba, described by him as follows:

"This patch provides SHA256 support for CPU and GPU execution.
GPU version is using CUDA and works only on Linux builds."

However, inside the patch I don't see a CPU implementation.  I think
Lukas had one, but perhaps it was actually a separate patch.  Lukas?

Meanwhile, if you have an NVidia GPU, CUDA, and Linux, you may use this
patch for some speedup.

(There are also a few other GPU patches on the wiki.)

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:59:06AM +0200, groszek wrote:
> I believe there is no official support, but a while back I needed sha2
> formats too so I wrote the support for them basing on raw-md4 code.
>
> Attached files enable the formats raw-sha224, raw-sha256, raw-sha384,
> raw-sha512. If someone wants to integrate that into jumbo or such it'd
> be great, I'm afraid I don't have experience or time for that...

Thanks!  I assume your changes relative to my sample code are too trivial
to be subject to copyright - is this your understanding too?

In these files, the ALGORITHM_NAME strings don't make sense to me -
perhaps my convention was too cryptic for people to figure out what
these are supposed to mean.  The rest looks reasonable.

Alexander