Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 01:42:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper 1.7.8-jumbo-4

Jim,

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 04:24:23PM -0500, JFoug wrote:
> You need to apply the patches listed, or wait until jumbo-5 is released.
> Solar beat me to the punch, releasing J4, prior to my completing all of the
> changes needed for x86-64 builds.

I'm sorry for that, although I had my good reasons not to wait for you
to complete those patches.  My primary reason behind pushing -jumbo-4
out was to get past the plugins stuff acceptance, and to know whether
I'd be able to accept further patches as-is, have to un-plugin them (in
case I would have chosen not to accept the plugins stuff, which at a
time I considered a real possibility), or ask for them not to be built
upon the plugins stuff.  I ended up just accepting the plugins with
little changes (as discussed on john-dev), but this was not certain.

Also, my time left for JtR before the KoreLogic contest is far too
limited (I have lots of non-JtR tasks to work on during these same
days).  Yesterday, I hoped that the -jumbo-4 release would be the
very last one into which I accept patches before I possibly/hopefully
find time for a "contest edition" with certain changes of my own.  Now
it looks like I'd need to find time for a jumbo-5 first, but I am not
sure if I will (sorry!), or I might not find time for a "contest
edition" then.

Anyhow, I don't see how this has anything to do with W.A.'s failed
32-bit build.  What you're saying (in another message) is that x86-64
builds are merely slower at some hash types than they will be with your
next update.  Well, maybe W.A. wouldn't need a 32-bit build then, but if
there's something in JtR (rather than on the system) preventing this
build from succeeding, we need to find out and likely fix that.
I suspect that maybe W.A. simply didn't install MPI for 32-bit or
something like that, though.

Thanks for all your work on this!

Alexander