Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 20:43:32 +0100
From: rembrandt <rembrandt@...erlin.de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bitslice DES on AVX

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 03:05:21 +0300
Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:08:10PM +0100, rembrandt wrote:
> > I own such a CPU (i7-2600, 3,4Ghz)... :-)
> >
> > Just I've no *NIX yet on it. I could offer it to you as a testbox for a
> > while (ssh) or if you tell me what tests you need I'll perform these.
>
> I'd appreciate it if you boot it up off an Owl LiveCD (x86_64) and let
> me SSH in (please provide the login details off-list).  I've attached
> our standard instructions (which we normally use for remote installs of
> Owl).  The download links are right here:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/Owl/
>
> (BTW, we've updated Owl-current to use OpenSSL 1.0.0d since the last
> discussion in here.)
>
> > Also I noticed the CPU supports AES (did not checked what modes) so
> > maybe that' also worth locking.
>
> It does (one instruction per AES round, not a specific mode).  In fact,
> this was introduced earlier, not with Sandy Bridge.  I am considering
> making use of this for a related purpose - see our GSoC ideas list:
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/ideas
>
> If JtR ever needs to crack anything based on AES where performance
> of AES encryption itself matters (normally, there would be a slow key
> derivation function instead), then these instructions will also be
> useful for JtR.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexander

I'll contact you off list soon (exspect tomorrow evening with details).
The Box has also a GPU (ATI) capable of OpenCL, driver installation and
co would be your turn if you like to test things as well.

I could also install other *NIX Operating Systems so you could test
things there as well. And I thought last time already "Damn, I need a
KVM for such stuff...". ;)

Just one importent thing: If you can't read the logfiles of openwall
"in time" please tell me (private, asap). I will use wget at a
invalid URL (will tell you in the mail..) so that you know the actual IP
(it's not fix) of the box and I'll do so with a cronjob (aka a request
each 5 mins). So a poor-mans "dyn-ip"-Service. ;)

And it would be nice if you like to take a look at OpenBSD as well. ;)
But I could install also other OSs...

Kind regards,
Rembrandt