Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 03:05:21 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bitslice DES on AVX

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:08:10PM +0100, rembrandt wrote:
> I own such a CPU (i7-2600, 3,4Ghz)... :-)
>
> Just I've no *NIX yet on it. I could offer it to you as a testbox for a
> while (ssh) or if you tell me what tests you need I'll perform these.

I'd appreciate it if you boot it up off an Owl LiveCD (x86_64) and let
me SSH in (please provide the login details off-list).  I've attached
our standard instructions (which we normally use for remote installs of
Owl).  The download links are right here:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/

(BTW, we've updated Owl-current to use OpenSSL 1.0.0d since the last
discussion in here.)

> Also I noticed the CPU supports AES (did not checked what modes) so
> maybe that' also worth locking.

It does (one instruction per AES round, not a specific mode).  In fact,
this was introduced earlier, not with Sandy Bridge.  I am considering
making use of this for a related purpose - see our GSoC ideas list:

http://openwall.info/wiki/ideas

If JtR ever needs to crack anything based on AES where performance
of AES encryption itself matters (normally, there would be a slow key
derivation function instead), then these instructions will also be
useful for JtR.

Thanks,

Alexander

View attachment "Owl-remote-install-procedure" of type "text/plain" (1512 bytes)