Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:05:36 -0500
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Automatic Rule Generation (was GSoC 2011)

Hey Bartavelle,
   That sounds like a very cool project. I'd really like to hear more
about it! Please take everything I say below with a grain of salt, (I
certainly don't have the problem solved), but I just wanted to share
my own experiences.

When I first started working on a rule generator for JtR, my original
approach was to use a modified version of edit distance. Basically I
attempted to reverse mangle known passwords by applying different
combinations of 'reverse mangling' rules to each training password and
then seeing if the result matched a base word in an input dictionary.
For example stripping off digits/special characters from the
front/back, applying common replacements ('@'->'a'), etc. This kept
the memory requirements relatively low, (I only had to load up the
input dictionary and the current password I was checking.), and was
actually fairly fast since each password only had a limited number of
'reverse mangling' rules that could be applied to it.

There were numerous problems I ran into though. First of all, it had a
high false positive rate, (especially when I applied 'letter'
additions, which it sounds like your method has much better success
with). Second, it missed a lot of the passwords because the base word
was not in the input dictionary. Yes I could use a larger input
dictionary such as the Wikipedia list, but then the false positives go
through the roof, (I might as well just analyze it based entirely on
the possible mangling rules and drop the input dictionary altogether).
Neither of these problems were game-stoppers though.

The biggest issue I ran into was dealing with multiple word mangling
rules applied to the same password. Detecting it wasn't the problem.
Where I ran into issues though was that the resulting word mangling
rules were either too specific or I had to make them too generic. Aka
if you learn the mangling rules exactly and have the training set:

Password123
Password245
Password874
222password

You might generate the rules:
Cap first, append 123
Cap first, append 245
Cap first, append 874
pre-pend 222

But that would never generate the guess:
Password222

On the other hand you could make it generic and create the rules:
Cap first, append three digits
pre-pend three digits

But then you loose the fact that the number 123 is much more common
than all the other digits.

That's why I eventually moved to using probabilistic context free
grammars to model user behavior and generate my rules. Basically this
is just another layer of abstraction from your traditional rules. In
your typical CFG you start with non-terminals and replace them until
everything is a terminal value, or in this case a password guess. The
probabilistic part just means each replacement has a probability
assigned to it. In the current incarnation of my program it first
selects a mangling rule, (such as add three digits to the end of a
word) which has a set probability associated to it. It replaces the
three digits with an actual value, (such as '123') and multiplies the
total probability of the guess by the probability of '123' appearing.
It then replaces the dictionary word with an actual dictionary word,
such as 'password', and multiplies it by the probability of that word.
Finally it applies mangling rules to that dictionary word, (such as
capitalizing the first letter), and modifies the total probability
appropriately. This leaves you with a final guess which is composed
entirely of terminal replacements, (in this case 'Password123'), with
a final probability associated to it.

The advantage of this is that it will eventually generate guesses such
as 'Password222' from the above training set while still trying
'Password123' much earlier in the cracking session. The downside: A
whole lot of overhead in the cracking session, along with various
other issues. For example I haven't incorporated letter replacements
into it. Also it assumes that mangling rules are context free, and
that's not always true. Aka '***password***', and 'p1a2s3s4w5o6r7d'
are rules that are context sensitive, (aka the mangling rules are
related to each other). Oh and my code sucks, but that's a whole other
issue ;)

There's certainly other ways to solve the problem. For example, one
option I thought of is you could have a specific version of the rule:
Cap first, append '123', and then a generic version of the rule: Cap
first, append three digits. It's just that personally I feel that
there are a lot of benefits of using PCFGs that are hard to implement
using other methods.

Right now my program generates the guesses and then outputs them for
use in JtR using the -stdin option. I considered having it generate
JtR rules instead, but since JtR doesn't support multiple input
dictionaries, or interweaving brute force and dictionary based attacks
I haven't done that yet. In all honesty I should probably revisit that
and directly integrate the guess generator into JtR, but that's low on
my to-do list, (watching season 1 of Heros is much higher).

All in all, the whole project is still in the proof of concept stage,
(despite me working on it over a number of years), and there's a
million problems with it, which is why I'm so interested in your ideas
and results Bartavelle ;)

Matt