Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:35:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: contest results

Brandon - congrats to you and CrackHeads on what looks like your third
place: http://contest.korelogic.com/stats.html

Apparently, we're 4th.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 03:06:46AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:
> ...  I am going to compete in the
> contest and I'm not on the john-users team.  If I had known a month ago
> there was interest I would have joined.  Now that I have prepared for
> the contest I want to compete with my own team.

This is understandable, although you could have just asked whether there
was interest a month ago. ;-)

> As I told SD, no matter what team wins, I have little doubt that it
> will be a John-powered victory.

This is now doubtful.  The two winning teams, according to their names,
relied on closed-source software, although I suspect that they were
using John as well (and indeed John has indirectly contributed to what
those closed-source programs have become).

Brandon, Minga -

I'd appreciate more info on what each team has been using/doing -
hardware (and cost incurred, if any), software (free or previously
acquired, I suppose?), password cracking techniques, team management
(e.g., what separate roles?), how many team members (and how many of
them actually "active"), external contributions accepted (e.g., if
another team shared their passwords) and how much help they were (e.g.,
90% overlap with what the team already had), also info on stuff used by
those external contributors if known.  I am willing to provide this info
on our team.

Also, I am curious about cumulative scores for multiple teams - e.g.,
what if CrackHeads and john-users joined (which did not happen) - would
we definitely be 2nd (hardly) or maybe not (which we can't know for sure
from mere analysis of the results now, which Kore may perform, because
if we acted as one team we'd actually crack more)?  What would the
cumulative score be for all submissions, by all teams? by the first two?
by all except for the first two (if they all joined, would they surpass
the winners or maybe-not)?

Thanks,

Alexander