Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:16:15 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re-ordered 'Single Mode' Ruleset

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:32:24PM -0400, Matt Weir wrote:
> http://reusablesec.blogspot.com/2010/04/optimizing-john-rippers-single-mode-for.html

That's curious.  Thank you for making those tests and sharing the results!

This reminds me that I should introduce "plaintext cracking" into JtR -
for testing on already-known passwords (such as on the RockYou list).
Then you'd be able to use JtR's log file to see how many passwords each
rule "cracks".  Meanwhile, you could use raw MD5 hashes, which would
also be fast enough.

> Should we create a separate page on the Wiki that only holds
> user created rulesets? Right now all of them are tucked away under "Advanced
> Usage Examples and Compile Time Hacks". A new page might make them easier to
> find and encourage people to submit their own rules.

Yes, I agree.  I propose:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/rules

> We could then have a
> subpage for rule questions, (where we could link to a lot of the excellent
> rule posts that have been going on lately).

I thought of adding those links into a new section on:

but you can instead have the proper section on the rules page instead,
or create a subpage if you feel the amount of information warrants that.

The important thing is to add that content to some wiki page.  Then
we'll be able to move it around if needed.

> I'll upload the rules to the wiki, and if it's ok, start creating those
> pages.

Sure, please go ahead.

Thank you!

Alexander