Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:06:31 -0600
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Small display bug.. anyone else having this problem?

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 16:30, Minga Minga <mingakore@...il.com> wrote:
> Any ideas why? I know I've had some TERM problems before,
> so this might be a weird issue that only affects me. But its
> definitely reproducible with a LARGE dictionary file.

This happens with many programs that use termios to modify terminal
behavior (src/tty.c in JtR).  Basically, they set up the terminal to
handle keystrokes in a specific fashion, but when you forcibly kill
the application before it has the opportunity to clean up (ctrl-C
twice), the terminal hasn't been returned to its original
configuration.  Solution: be patient or get used to using ctrl-j.

The reason this does not happen when you're piping output is because
the output is not your tty, hence the termio doesn't affect it.