Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 20:48:21 +0100
From: SL <auditor@...chat.de>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Feature Requests for JtR

Am 03.02.2010 um 19:29 schrieb Minga Minga <mingakore@...il.com>:

> Right now, I am just guessing at the priority - but if there was a
> way 'john' could TELL me which combinations have the least amount of
> possible passwords, that would be helpful.
>
> Im aware thats not how ETA works - and that it changes over time. Is
> there another way to do this besides ETA?

Earlier in your message you wrote: "Is there something I SHOULD be
doing with my .log files?"
... and this is pretty much what I am doing with mine: determining,
which rules successfully crack hashes, and for how long they are
running. This is, of course, "post mortem", not "ahead of time" as you
desire it, but it works for me.

Just be aware that the .log indicates rules AFTER john's rule
processor, NOT the rules in john.conf.