Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 13:16:08 -0600
From: Minga Minga <mingakore@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Pre-Mangling (Wordlist cleanup)

This is not REALLY what you are looking for, but when I've had
cases like yours, I've just used command line tools to 'clean up' my
.dic files (wordlists). All regexp's below are lame - and can be
re-written to be better/smarter/faster. Notice 'sort -u' will
sort the lists, and unique them afterwards. These are just
examples - they are not all logical - but its a start to get
you going.

Also: run 'strings' on your wordlists. It will get rid of SOME high-ascii.

Assuming your input file is custom.dic :

# The following command will extract all 4 and 5 character words that
# are alphanumeric only:
egrep '^[a-zA-Z0-9]{4,5}$' custom.dic | sort -u > custom_45.dic

# or for 8 characters
egrep '^[a-zA-Z0-9]{8}$' custom.dic | sort -u > custom_8.dic

# This is a LAME regexp - that needs to be re-written
# but it will make a .dic file that is only letters, numbers and SOME specials
# with a max length of 8 chars.
egrep '^[a-zA-Z0-9!@...?()%^&{}*/.,<>|`_;:]{1,8}$' custom.dic | sort
-u > custom_8special.dic

# up to 22 chars - alphanumic
egrep  '^[a-zA-Z]{22}$' custom.dic | sort -u > custom_lets_22.dic

You get the idea. Its at least a START until you can get john.conf
rules to do what
you want. But in general, I usually just clean up my .dic files - and
don't mess with
john.conf rules to do so for me.

---------

-Minga