Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:02:28 +0200
From: rembrandt <rembrandt@...erlin.de>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Changing the way algorithms are listed ('course the list got
 looong)

I would like to suggest that in new john-versions the way how avaiable
algorithms are listed might get changed.

Right now it looks like (+ algo-patch applied):

--format=NAME              force hash type NAME:

DES/BSDI/MD5/BF/AFS/LM/NT/XSHA/
PO/raw-MD5/IPB2/raw-sha1/md5a/hmac-md5/KRB5/bfegg/nsldap/ssha/openssha/oracle/MY
SQL/mysql-sha1/mscash/lotus5/DOMINOSEC/NETLM/NETNTLM/NETLMv2/NETHALFLM/mssql/mss
ql05/epi/phps/mysql-fast/pix-md5/sapG/sapB/md5ns/HDAA

I like to suggest that algorithms are listed in a list + very short
description what they are for or where there are used.
I do not know each algorithm either (for example epi, never took a look..)
thus I think this might be handy.

I have such a example in mind:

DES - default unix crypt() DES
mysql-sha1 - SHA1 generated by MySQL
HDAA - (well, no clue, never needed it yet).

Also maybe a lil unification: tolower or tobigger... but mixed?
This wont change anything in the functionality but I think it might be handy.

Regards,
Rembrandt