Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:51:53 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Thoughts and questions on creation of a 'generic' MD5 hash set format (to handle 'all' of them)

Jim,

You have some good thoughts here.  Thank you for posting this.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:26:22AM -0500, JimF wrote:
> However, I have been thinking about how best to feed john some of the many md5 hash types (families).  I propose something like this:
>
> Password 4turtles
> Salts either ttzzz or i a   (i space a)
>
> uid:md5($p.$s5)ttzzzf879de3ea2c872243bf38ff482fecb7f     (pw=4turtles salt=ttzzz)

You have probably seen my related proposal already, but just in case:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2009/01/21/5

I think that for decent performance there got to be some shortcut for
the simple/typical cases like that.  Maybe the shortcut should be right
in the input syntax, maybe it should be in having separate "formats" for
simple vs. complicated hash types, or maybe it should be in the code
(auto-detection of simple special cases with corresponding substitution
of function pointers, etc. to avoid further overhead).

Alexander