Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:32:47 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Thoughts and questions on how to 'fix' john to handle colon char in 'bad' locations (such as salts)

This can be an issue.  What are peoples thoughts of 'work-arounds' here?

Might impact both the input file, and the john.pot file.

My thoughts on handling the 'input' file, is to simply have a command line switch, telling john to use a different delimiter for separatcion of the GECOS fields.  Thus -delim=_ would setup the '_' char as the delimiter between the user field, and the hash.   This would allow running a file with ':' chars in the hash, without having those hashes be 'left out' like is what happens today.  Now, in this case, john.pot could also have the _ char used, however, now we have other issues, since the john.pot is a dumping ground for all sorts of hashes, and thus, this also might be a problem.  However, I think on re-running the same format, and using the same delminiter, then the values from the joh.pot could be read in properly.

Another way to put out a special delim, is to have this be one of the fields of the format.  Thus the format itself could over-ride the default : char, if it was known that that char is used and that another char is not used.  This would allow this issue to be documented for a format, and easily worked around.  Also, any time this format was run, the john.pot entries could properly be parsed, loaded, cleaned up, and later saved.

H.