Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 02:56:31 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john --show patch

Kurt,

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:30:28AM -0700, Kurt Grutzmacher wrote:
> You're correct. In further research the jumbo patch available at
> http://www.openwall.com/john/contrib/john-1.7.3.1-all-5.diff.gz is to blame
> - linked from the main JtR page on line 14470
> It does a call to ldr_get_field(&line) which nullifies the "line" variable.

Thanks for the bug report.  Yet, as a matter of procedure (and saving my
time), I'd appreciate a complete bug report, as I had requested:

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > Anyhow, can you please provide a complete bug report?  Version of JtR
> > used, input file used (perhaps just two lines will be enough), desired
> > result, actual result (with the buggy version).

Would you provide that, please?  I'd help to ensure that whatever fix I
may get into the next revision of the patch will address the issue the
way you're seeing it.  I don't think I will use your proposed patch as-is.

Thanks again,

Alexander

P.S. The non-over-quoting comment from my previous posting (a reply to
Jim) applies to you, too.  I had to edit your message in the moderation
queue (the quoting only) prior to approving it.