Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:45:17 -0600
From: Billy Newsom <billy@...c.us>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: keyspace, mask password and dumb bruteforce

You know, if I might butt in here... I haven't looked at
http://distributed.net/ in a long time, but for the last 10 years at least
they have had clients, and open source clients, which are made to distribute
blocks of hashes to be cracked with a number of different algorithms. In other
words, it is already a distributed form of John, albeit written independently
I would guess.

Why don't you see if the licenses of the codes would allow you to sort of meld
the d.net client/server platforms with the complexity of John. In effect, the
interface of John is terrible but powerful, while the distributed clients are
easy but pretty dumb. I think you need easy and dumb and distributed... Now
just hack their stuff to do the cracking you need to do, right? Probably
over-simplifying, but that's my 2 cents.

I would much rather work with something already into networking and hash
passing and key distribution instead of hacking into jTr. Look, there's a wheel!