Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:49:50 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: WIN32 binary that supports 8-11 chars passwords

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 05:39:12PM -0500, jmartinez@....com wrote:
> I wonder if there is a compiled binary version that works with NT hashes
> from passwords longer than 8 chars (8-11 at least)

You must be referring to the default compile-time length limitation of
"incremental" mode.  Please note that other cracking modes do not have
this limitation, and you're not supposed to be artificially limiting JtR
to using "incremental" mode only.

All of the existing builds of JtR with support for NT hashes patched
in should work for passwords longer than 8 characters - just not with
"incremental" mode indeed.

> or what changes I need to make to the source code and compile on cygwin.

Please refer to these older postings for some relevant info:

	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2006/06/08/2
	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2007/07/04/6

BTW, you will likely get much better performance at NT hashes by
compiling JtR with a recent revision of the jumbo patch.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar