Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 08:10:59 +0000 (UTC)
From:  -.-PhanTom-.- <phantom_otw@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: Potfile size limitation?

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:

> Well, we could agree on and share an exact debugging build for Windows,
> then try to investigate the problem based on Cygwin's backtrace dump,
> but I'm not willing to go into debugging on Windows myself now - no time
> for that, considering that the issue is rather minor (not relevant to
> most John users).  We might get back to it when testing the next major
> release candidate, which will likely have some changes in the password
> file and john.pot loader.
>
> > So this issue seems to be related to windows/cygwin only.
>
> That's quite likely, but we haven't proven it yet.  I was not using your
> john.pot file to test, and neither I nor you tested on 32-bit non-Windows
> (instead we tested on 64-bit Linux).

GOOOD NEWS!!! :)
It seems that it is related to cygwin.
I used an older cygwin1.dll with jtr 1.7.2 and that did the trick!
I can now do -show again using this older cygwin1.dll file
dated May 26th 2005.

I first tried an already compiled ver og 1.6.39 which had this older
cygwin1.dll - it worked.
Then I copied over latest cygwin1.dll (31st Jan 2007) - did not work.
Then I tried old cygwin1.dll with jtr 1.7.2 - it worked :)

> Maybe you could try on 32-bit Linux?  You might not need another Linux
> install for that if you have 32-bit compatibility libraries on your
> existing one.  You'd likely need to add "-m32" to all of CFLAGS,
> ASFLAGS, and LDFLAGS, then build with "make clean linux-x86-sse2".

I can try 32bit Linux and maybe also 64bit windows in VmWare, but I really
think that the issue is caused by cygwin alone...

Sorry for stirring things up...