Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:44:42 -0400
From: Gavin Westermann <gwestermann@...ornet.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Need help appying a patch to john 1.7.2

I definitely need some help here. I think I am doing this right but my
results always seem to fail.

I am trying to apply a patch to john 1.7.2 so that I can decrypt one
cashed  password from a laptop I have in which I have simply forgotten
the domain password I used. I used cachedump to retrieve it and would
now like to use John to recover the password. This patch is supposed to
add what I need to John to do that.

I wget this file (john-1.7.2-mscash-alainesp-4.1.diff.gz) into the src
directory in John 1.7.2, cd to src and run the following command and get
the following output. It asks for the file to patch and I give
"john.conf" . I have tried several different patches with different
versions and get the same or more complex failures.

I have to be doing something simple wrong....

Any help would be appreciated.

Gavin

e220r% gunzip -c john-1.7.2-mscash-alainesp-4.1.diff.gz | patch -p0
  Looks like a unified context diff.
File to patch: john.conf
  The next patch looks like a unified context diff.
  The next patch looks like a unified context diff.
  The next patch looks like a unified context diff.
Hunk #1 failed at line 0.
1 out of 1 hunks failed: saving rejects to john.conf.rej
  I can't seem to find a patch in there anywhere.
e220r%