Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:36:52 -0500
From: jmk <jmk@...fus.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Initial seed password

Hi,

I've been messing with implementing LM and NTLMv1 challenge/response
cracking within John. I seem to have both working now in my lame hacked
together code sort of way. ;) Not sure if it'll be useful to others, but
I'll post the diff once I'm a bit more confident in it.

Here's my question...

Is it possible to provide John with the start of a password and have it
go from there? Say I know the first 7 characters of the password, but
the password may actually be up to 14 characters in length. I'm assuming
I would create a custom wordlist rule that tells John to start appending
characters to this value. Unfortunately, I'm completely confused by
John's rule syntax. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give
me a few tips?

Thanks,
Joe