Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:41:46 -0500
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PVM or MPI?

Not being in the HPC crowd, I personally can't see much of a
difference - they're two implementations of one parallelization
paradigm: thread concurrency on heterogeneous machines.  There [was]
an MPI implementation of John during the 1.6.x days, and it worked
okay - I used it to some success on an 8-way P-III machine.  Looking
around, it seems they've updated it:
http://www.bindshell.net/tools/johntheripper.

I think the first step would be a good-according-to-Solar
parallelization of John's algorithm in the first place, and worry
about distributing that work off-machine later.  For that matter,
when/if that comes down the pipes, it should make hardware [FPGA]
acceleration easier too.