Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:24:58 -0400
From: John <guipenguin@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: encryption strength vs. the time it takes to find the same password with different key sizes

I am trying to better understand this, so please bare with me. Lets say I
have two hashes I want to crack. Each hash uses the same password.     If
one encryption is with 32 bit. and the other is 64 bit.  would cracking the
64 bit encryption actually take longer? Even though they both use the same
length password? For example: I got thinking that if you used an lowercase
alpha only password, that is 6 chars long.. so 26^6 possible combos to break
it.... wouldn't it be the same for each encryption strength?

Please excuse my ignorance in this area, Im trying to learn, although I
think my question is good enough to ask.

Thanks.