Date: 6 Aug 2006 05:33:08 -0000
From: madfran <madfran@....alias.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: More problems with rules and Charset for french language

Hi,...

I am afraid the problem isn't solved :-(

When I use your proposal I never see the french characters and john are not able
to find the right password.

>3. You did not mention how you generated the french.chr, so I am not
>sure if it's correct.  You do remember that the default compile-time
>configuration for John (in params.h) limits the "incremental" mode to
>printable US-ASCII characters only, right?

I think the real problem is the default compile-time in US-ASCII characters.

To generate the french.chr I put in john.pot the french character like,

:Â
:Á
:À
:Ç
:É
:Ê
:È
.
.
.

and then I launch the generation,

john --make-charset=french.chr

but then I never see this characters when john try to gues.

I think john always translate the 8bits code in US-ASCII characters and destroy
the information introduced in john.pot

madfran