Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 03:23:45 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR and Mac Version

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:45:48PM +0200, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  I use "JTR 1.7.0.1 + jumbo patch build for Mac OS X on PowerPC (959
> KB), by Erik Winkler" with a PowerPC G5 1,6 GHZ mono core macintosh
>
>  ./john -test return me :
>  Benchmarking: Traditional DES [128/128 BS AltiVec]... DONE
> Many salts:     941004 c/s real, 958253 c/s virtual

Good stuff.

>  I have tested the same JTR on the new Imac "wintel" duo core 2 GHZ
>   ./john -test return me :
>   Benchmarking: Traditional DES [128/128 BS AltiVec]... DONE
> Many salts:     215884 c/s real, 216817 c/s virtual
> <<<<<-------------- very low !

In fact, I would say that this is great performance for an emulator.
They must be translating PPC/AltiVec code to x86/SSE dynamically, then
executing the resulting code, yet this is still very impressive.
There's no reason for you to complain.

>  As you can see the second results are lower !

You should be glad that this worked at all and, moreover, that it has
delivered reasonable performance.  Of course, you wouldn't be using John
like that, but you should find their support for PPC binaries useful in
other cases.

>  Is there a special an optimized version of JTR for new macintosh (with
> Intel processor) ?

Just download the sources and compile with "make macosx-x86-mmx", this
will produce a native binary for Mac OS X on x86.

>  Can I use JTR Microsoft version (now new mac can run windows) on a
> Wintel mac ?

Perhaps, if you say they have implemented some support for Windows apps.
If you do try this out, please post your results in here.  Of course,
this is just to see how good (or not) their support for Windows apps is.

For John, the best thing to do would be to build it for Mac OS X on x86
natively as I have explained above.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar