Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 03:11:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: windows passwords now don't work

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:02:22PM +0000, jay rubin wrote:
> When I went to change my
> password I kept getting an error message that the "password entered was
> incorrect".  So what better to do than rerun john and make sure what my
> passwords were.

You should not be able to actually login to the system with the results
of cracking of LM hashes.  As it has been already explained elsewhere in
this thread, LM hashes are case-insensitive, whereas when you're logging
in to the system you actually need to type characters using the correct
case.  That's where NTLM hashes come into play.

Since cracking of the case of characters only takes a trivial amount of
processing, it is sufficient to crack LM hashes to determine how weak
the passwords are.

I understand that you could want to get your actual case-sensitive
passwords cracked (perhaps just to confirm that John is working
correctly?) - and a recipe for that has been on this list earlier - it's
the use of the jumbo-patched build of John, plus a modification to
john.ini, plus that "cut" command and some invocations of John.  But I'm
afraid that this will be non-trivial for you to follow.

So you could want to trust me that those passwords are in fact cracked
correctly, less the case of characters. ;-)

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598