Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:49:25 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Speed up John

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 11:48:33PM +0100, kraeh! wrote:
> If you really want to speed up john, you should use more than just one
> computer for it.
> JohnNet is a quite nice tool for this. and i don??t say things like this
> because i made it 8-)

I had a look at this:

	http://www.kraeh.info/html/manual.html

Basically, this suffers from the same problem that dJohn and most other
similar hacks do.  Unlike John the Ripper itself, these programs or John
patches would not try candidate passwords in an optimal order.  As a
result, John running on a single CPU for one day might crack more
real-world password hashes than dJohn or JohnNet running on 10 CPUs
would.  These are great for fun ("hey, I am getting 10M c/s"), but
generally not for real-world use.  (I was pointed at a much smarter hack
of John the Ripper recently, but it's not public.)

Thank you for sharing this with john-users anyway!

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598