Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 07:27:31 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 4 failing tests for ppc64 big-endian

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:01:44AM +0100, Normand wrote:
> On 16/02/2016 16:21, Solar Designer wrote:
> >git clone https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper jumbo
>
> I started from there, and was able to verify that build and make check
> completed for PowerPC Little-Endian with current head of bleeding-jumbo
> branch
> BUT, failed for Big-Endian as per:
> ===
> gcc -DAC_BUILT  -DJOHN_powerpc64 -c -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include
> -DARCH_LITTLE_ENDIAN=0   -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement
> -fomit-frame-pointer --param allow-store-data-races=0
> -Wno-deprecated-declarations  -Wunused-but-set-variable -std=gnu89
> -Wdate-time -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600
> -DOPENSSL_LOAD_CONF  -fopenmp  -pthread   -I/usr/local/include
> -funroll-loops MD5_fmt.c -o MD5_fmt.o
> In file included from MD5_fmt.c:17:0:
> simd-intrinsics.h:79:29: error: expected '}' before 'BITS'
>  #define MD5_ALGORITHM_NAME  BITS " " SIMD_TYPE " " MD5_N_STR
> ===

Has this already been fixed?  I notice a pull request from you got merged.

> >Last summer, Lei Zhang worked with us under GSoC 2015 on adding more use
> >of AltiVec intrinsics to jumbo.  You could want to test this, too.
> >In fact, the configure script should autodetect AltiVec and use it.
>
> Looking at git last commit, I identified commit 11b0799 as related work
> but seems this is not active for PowerPC Big-Endian.

Actually, I think we were only testing PowerPC big-endian.  Maybe a bug
preventing build on big-endian sneaked in since then.

> I tried to make some changes in source code around those files
> but did not succeeded as my work results in more than 100 testcases FAILED.

Oh.  This means you got the arch.h settings wrong for your machine,
perhaps the endianness.

You really shouldn't be working from those old commits - you should
just work with the latest tree.

Please update us all on the current status.

Alexander