Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:01:44 +0100
From: Normand <normand@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 4 failing tests for ppc64 big-endian

On 16/02/2016 16:21, Solar Designer wrote:
> Hi Michel,
>
> Thank you for reporting these issues to us, and for offering help.
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:04:16AM +0100, Normand wrote:
>> I experienced 4 test failures while doing build of john package on openSUSE
>> (1)
>> for ppc64 (64 bits big-endian) or ppc (32 bits big-endian)
>> As detailed in (2) I am using the latest jumboversion john-1.7.9-jumbo-7
>> version
>
> 1.7.9-jumbo-7 is not the latest.
>
> The latest jumbo release is 1.8.0-jumbo-1, as listed on JtR homepage.
> Unfortunately, to compile it on non-x86 you need this tiny patch:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2014/12/18/21
>
> Development has since proceeded thousands of commits ahead, and we're
> close to releasing 1.8.0-jumbo-2 (or possibly 1.8.1-jumbo-1, if 1.8.1 is
> released sooner).  You may obtain the latest code with:
>
> git clone https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper jumbo

I started from there, and was able to verify that build and make check
completed for PowerPC Little-Endian with current head of bleeding-jumbo branch
BUT, failed for Big-Endian as per:
===
gcc -DAC_BUILT  -DJOHN_powerpc64 -c -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include -DARCH_LITTLE_ENDIAN=0   -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement -fomit-frame-pointer --param allow-store-data-races=0 -Wno-deprecated-declarations  -Wunused-but-set-variable -std=gnu89 -Wdate-time -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600   -DOPENSSL_LOAD_CONF  -fopenmp  -pthread   -I/usr/local/include -funroll-loops MD5_fmt.c -o
MD5_fmt.o
In file included from MD5_fmt.c:17:0:
simd-intrinsics.h:79:29: error: expected '}' before 'BITS'
  #define MD5_ALGORITHM_NAME  BITS " " SIMD_TYPE " " MD5_N_STR
===

>> Any suggestion on how to investigate such failures ?
>
> In general, it's tricky to investigate endianness bugs.  Short of making
> a lucky educated guess as to where the problem is (which does happen),
> you'd have to introduce debugging output throughout the computation and
> see where it starts to differ between little- and big-endian builds.
>
> In this particular case, though, chances are that those specific issues
> are already fixed - so please re-test with the latest from GitHub first.
> It is also likely that entirely new issues have since been introduced.
>
> Last summer, Lei Zhang worked with us under GSoC 2015 on adding more use
> of AltiVec intrinsics to jumbo.  You could want to test this, too.
> In fact, the configure script should autodetect AltiVec and use it.

Looking at git last commit, I identified commit 11b0799 as related work
but seems this is not active for PowerPC Big-Endian.
I tried to make some changes in source code around those files
but did not succeeded as my work results in more than 100 testcases FAILED.

--
Michel Normand