Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 22:46:30 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Jumbo & Johnny Windows Problem (was Windows event
 loop)

Mathieu,

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 03:29:28PM -0400, Mathieu Laprise wrote:
> A few weeks ago, Johnny had a problem : it couldn't pause a cracking
> session on Windows. To make Johnny be able to safely stop john on Windows,
> we had to send a CTRL_C_EVENT to the console in Johnny and modify john
> core. The core john patch is discussed there by Solar, you can see the diff
> too.
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/05/31/4
>
> The fix works on core john and jumbo. However, we recently started to
> verify the exit status of the Qt process in Johnny to show error messages
> to users. Core john returns QProcess::NormalExit and jumbo returns
> QProcess::CrashExit.
>
> So, here are some questions
> 1) Is it a false positive or does something makes core be able to clean up
> before exit but not jumbo ?
> 2) If it's a false positive, would it be hard to fix it on jumbo side so it
> doesn't report a crash when we send CTRL_C ? A crash is reported every time
> we pause an attack on Windows.

I played a bit with QProcess on Linux:

>>> from PyQt4.QtCore import *
>>> QProcess.execute('john pwdump.pw')
[...]
(called `killall john` in other window)
Session aborted
1
>>> QProcess.execute('john pwdump.pw')
[...]
(called `killall -9 john` in other window)
-1

If I kill john without chances to save session then I get "crash
code". Otherwise I get regular code and "Session aborted" message
from john. I think "Session aborted" is printed only when john handles
exit well. Johnny captures output (right?) so it should be easy to
check if john prints the message.

Does jumbo print "Session aborted" when you get CrashExit?

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov