Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 15:29:28 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Jumbo & Johnny Windows Problem (was Windows event loop)

A few weeks ago, Johnny had a problem : it couldn't pause a cracking
session on Windows. To make Johnny be able to safely stop john on Windows,
we had to send a CTRL_C_EVENT to the console in Johnny and modify john
core. The core john patch is discussed there by Solar, you can see the diff
too.
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/05/31/4

The fix works on core john and jumbo. However, we recently started to
verify the exit status of the Qt process in Johnny to show error messages
to users. Core john returns QProcess::NormalExit and jumbo returns
QProcess::CrashExit.

So, here are some questions
1) Is it a false positive or does something makes core be able to clean up
before exit but not jumbo ?
2) If it's a false positive, would it be hard to fix it on jumbo side so it
doesn't report a crash when we send CTRL_C ? A crash is reported every time
we pause an attack on Windows.

Thanks guys ! I appreciate your time !

Content of type "text/html" skipped