Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 20:31:58 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Coding Style

On 2015-04-05 18:02, Solar Designer wrote:
> If you use tabs only, then non-standard tab width is acceptable.
> If you use tab to indent, space to align - as you wanted to - then
> non-standard tab width is unacceptable.  This gives us another option:
> switch to non-standard tab width, but give up on using space to align.

This is confusing. What you describe is precisely what I will NOT happen
when you use tab for indentation and spaces to align. Here's an example,
tabs are shown here as dashes. Author used a tab width of two and it
looked like this to him:

class myclass
__void mymethod(int arg1,
__              int arg2,
__              int arg3) {
____statement1;
____statement2;
____callSomeFunction(someotherarg1,
____                 someotherarg2);
__}
}

Here's how it will look for you (width 8):

class myclass
________void mymethod(int arg1,
________              int arg2,
________              int arg3) {
________________statement1;
________________statement2;
________________callSomeFunction(someotherarg1,
________________                 someotherarg2);
________}
}

Alignment was preserved, and will be preserved regardless of tab width.
Try doing the same with tabs only, and you will get an awful mess. I
presume what you mean with by "using tabs only" is to indent exactly one
tab for continuation lines too?

magnum