Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 17:46:40 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SIMD SHA-crypt, etc.

On 2015-02-24 13:09, jfoug@....net wrote:

> ---- Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW, are the icc-compiled sse-intrinsics-{32,64}.S files abandoned?
>> No commits to them since May 2014, and I think they're incompatible with
>> the rest of the tree now (they lack SHA-2).  I guess autoconf does not
>> use them anyway?  I guess the recent changes broke the Makefile.legacy
>> target that would use them?  What is the plan here?
>
> ```
>  --with-icc-asm          Use ICC pre-built asm files for intrisic SIMD code.
>                           Default: no
> ```
>
> But I do not know if the ones in bleeding are still functional or not. I have not built with them for a LONG time.

This has totally slipped my mind since I mostly run OSX. I will open an
issue for investigating whether we should fix or abandon them.  I'd
prefer just dropping that support. Users who really want it could
instead build the whole shebang with icc (or someone could release
binaries in whole produced with icc).

magnum