Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 7:09:36 -0500
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SIMD SHA-crypt, etc.

---- Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Jim -
>
> Thank you for (finally) getting us SIMD-enabled sha512crypt,
> sha256crypt, and XSHA512.  The speeds are pretty good for CPUs:

Here is a page listing the ones I think still require work.

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/363

> These say SSE4.1, but I think they should say AVX for this build (I took
> a look at "objdump -d sse-intrinsics.o | less").

If there are no AVX instructions used for the SHA2 code, then they are not listed.  XOP certainly is, but I think SSSE4.1 is the highest instruction set used for Intel only.

> I guess your next step is to update Drupal7 and some other SHA-2 using
> formats to use this new code as well?

See page above.

> BTW, are the icc-compiled sse-intrinsics-{32,64}.S files abandoned?
> No commits to them since May 2014, and I think they're incompatible with
> the rest of the tree now (they lack SHA-2).  I guess autoconf does not
> use them anyway?  I guess the recent changes broke the Makefile.legacy
> target that would use them?  What is the plan here?

```
 --with-icc-asm          Use ICC pre-built asm files for intrisic SIMD code.
                          Default: no
```

But I do not know if the ones in bleeding are still functional or not. I have not built with them for a LONG time.