Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 7:55:42 -0500
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dynamic_2000 - dynamic_2014

---- Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> Apparently, formats dynamic_2000 - dynamic_2014, defined in
> run/dynamic_flat_sse_formats.conf re-implement dynamic_0 - dynamic_14.
>
> These formats are slower, but allow longer passwords.
>
> Unfortunately, these formats use different canonical hash
> representations than the dynamic_0 - dynamic_14 formats.
> Probably this means, dynamic_2000 will not recognize cracked dynamic_0
> hashes in the pot file, and vice versa.
>
> Is there an easy way to avoid this,

This is a very good point frank.  I think we can do this by adding an 'array' of signatures to the dyna format.  Right now, there is a single number, that gets used to check for validity strings.  But if it were an array, then dyna_2002 would look for dyna_2 or dyna_2002 and accept both of them.

There are some caveats here (there always are).  Off the top of my head, you will end up with having something be in dyna_2 format, get cracked by dyna_2002, and then get written out as dyna_2002.  So there are some nuances that may have to be addressed, other than simply passing the valid check.  This is not a trivial request, but it is not rocket science either.