Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 01:29:14 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: key-length for mask mode.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:33:34AM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > [...] And yes, myrice's code achieved a similar speed,
> > > including with more hashes - IIRC, we were testing with 1M and 10M, as
> > > well as with a few thousand, and the speed somehow varied between
> > > invocations, sometimes being above 3000M c/s and sometimes below.
>  (This
> > > is twice slower than hashcat's, though.)
> >
> > I have tested myrice PG-test branch without any tweaks:
> >
> > OpenCL platform 0: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing, 2 device(s).
> > Using device 0: Tahiti
> > Local work size (LWS) 128, Global work size (GWS) 65536
> > Loaded 12906 password hashes with no different salts (Raw MD5 [OpenCL])
> > end self test
> [...]
> > guesses: 0  time: 0:00:00:21 0.00% (3)  c/s: 14865G  trying: sl3adu -
> bdbmme
> >
> > Myrice's kernel is spilling into scrach registers which might be the
> reason
> > for lower performance. Most likely you had tested it with
> > a different driver.
>
> Another reason is that it is possible that myrice and I were using other
> hash counts in those tests - 1M, 10M, and perhaps a few thousands - but
> not 13k.  It is possible that the thresholds are chosen poorly, which is
> seen with this hash count.
>
> Alexander

Hi Alexander,

I'm getting following speeds with my kernel:
10M hashes - 500Mc/s
1M  hashes  - 1450Mc/s
100k hashes- 1500Mc/s
13k hashes-   2700Mc/s
5 hashes-      3000Mc/s

Using myrice kernel:
10M -      440Mc/s
1M   -      930Mc/s
100k -     1122Mc/s
13k   -     650Mc/s
5      -     1700Mc/s

I am using 8 bitmaps of size 4kBx4, 256MBx2, 128MBx1, 64MBx1. Also a
hashtable of size 128MB + next hash table of fixed size 128MB(enough for
32M hashes).
Myrice is using much lesser global memory though.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped