Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 01:13:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Busted OpenCL formats

Sayantan, magnum -

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 01:36:41AM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> > Did anyone approve this?  I did not.  Sayantan, did you think you could
> > just go ahead and break bleeding for a while, without coordination with
> > anyone on the team?  That's a bad idea if so.  Yes, this is bleeding,
> > yet some coordination for things like that is desirable.
>
> I mentioned it in my this week's priorities. Also from your previous posts,
> I thought you wanted this!! I'll revert back if you and magnum say so.

OK, this is a misunderstanding.  You did mention merging with bleeding,
and I liked it, but I did not expect this would literally be commits
into our main bleeding at this time.  I still hope to release bleeding as
1.8.0-jumbo-1 in not too distant future, and I don't expect the mask
mode stuff to be fully ready for release by then.  So I thought we'd be
committing it into bleeding _after_ that release, with your "merging"
work being merely to reduce the number of differences between the trees
and make your code cleaner (and thus closer to being suitable for commit).

As to what to do now, I leave this up to magnum to decide.

Thanks,

Alexander