Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 00:51:56 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: src/ licensing

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 09:02:23AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 04/19/2013 02:55 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> > common-opencl.c                 GPLv2; unclear; code; was contributed by authors for 1.7+, hence GPLv2 is implied
>
> Is the name of individual authors important?

The individual authors are the copyright holders (except for those who
made trivial changes only), so we need to know who they are in order to
ask them to place the file under a certain license.

Based on the git blame results you posted, it looks like we may ask
magnum, Lukas, Claudio, JimF, Samuele, and Sayantan to approve a certain
license, and we'll review the changes by Vlatko and bizonix to confirm
that these are obviously too minor for copyright (which I guess is the
case).  As to my changes, I don't recall making any significant ones to
this file, and I'd be involved in approving the license anyway. ;-)

Right now, common-opencl.[ch] list Claudio, magnum, and the mysterious
FIXME and Others as the copyright holders. ;-)  They also use our
cut-down BSD license, which is great.  I think this implies that Claudio
and magnum have approved of the license, so we only need to list Lukas,
JimF, Samuele, and Sayantan as well, and to get their approval.

> git blame can give a first idea who contributed how much, but it can be
> misleading.
> For common-opencl.c, the line counts attributed to individual authors is:
>

>     503 magnum
>     153 Lukas Odzioba
>     120 Claudio Andr??
>      11 JimF
>       8 Samuele
>       4 Vlatko Kosturjak
>       3 Solar
>       2 bizonix
>       1 Sayantan Datta
>

> With git blame -M -C, the line counts are
>     510 magnum
>     153 Lukas Odzioba
>     113 Claudio Andr??
>      11 JimF