Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 19:01:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: doc/ licensing

Hi,

Here's my attempt at figuring out the current copyright holders and
licensing terms for documentation files as of 1.7.9-jumbo-7.  As you can
see, a few things are unclear.  I'd appreciate help clarifying them.

Also, we need to expand this to bleeding-jumbo (which probably has added
files), and to include and maintain a text file like this in the tree -
not only for documentation.  I am merely posting the portion pertaining
to documentation to discuss it separately.  Most lines are of the
following format:

filename space-padded to 30   license; copyright holders; file type; notes

Ideally, we need to re-license our documentation under more relaxed terms
than GPLv2.  For this, I need to publicly re-license the core tree's
documentation files first, so that any changes to them don't fall under
GPLv2 automatically.  So for files originating from core, this is a task
for me.

john-1.7.9-jumbo-7:
README                        N/A; Solar; symlink
README-jumbo                  GPLv2; Solar; documentation; new file in jumbo, hereby placed under GPLv2
doc                           various; various; directory
run                           various; various; directory
src                           various; various; directory

john-1.7.9-jumbo-7/doc:
BUGS                          GPLv2; Solar; documentation; new file in jumbo, hereby placed under GPLv2
CHANGES                       GPLv2; Solar; documentation
CHANGES-jumbo                 GPLv2; Solar; documentation; new file in jumbo, hereby placed under GPLv2
CHANGES-jumbo.git             unclear; magnum et al.; documentation; git commit messages, might be under GPLv2 since many of the commits were to files available to the committers only under GPLv2, or might be public domain, or might be copyrighted and not licensed (need license then)
CONFIG                        GPLv2; Solar et al.; documentation; additions in jumbo for "include" directive syntax, GPLv2 is implied since jumbo contributors were modifying the file by Solar available to them under GPLv2 only
CONTACT                       GPLv2; Solar; documentation
CREDITS                       GPLv2; Solar; documentation; contains some content beyond contributor names, so might be copyrightable
CREDITS-jumbo                 N/A; Solar, magnum; documentation; contributor name lists only, not subject to copyright (until the file possibly gets other kinds of content added to it)
DYNAMIC                       unclear; JimF; documentation, code; includes configuration samples, which arguably are "code"
DYNAMIC_SCRIPTING             unclear; JimF; documentation, code; includes configuration samples, which arguably are "code"
ENCODINGS                     public domain + cut-down BSD fallback; magnum, JimF; documentation; we should make it clearer whether the notice at the end of ENCODINGS applies to this documentation file itself or/and to the corresponding code (the current interpretation is that it applies to both), and to which specific pieces of code (source files, functions)
EPi.patch.README              unclear; johannes; documentation
EXAMPLES                      GPLv2; Solar; documentation
EXTERNAL                      GPLv2; Solar; documentation
FAQ                           GPLv2; Solar; documentation
HDAA_README                   unclear; unclear; documentation; brief usage example
INSTALL                       GPLv2; Solar; documentation
LICENSE                       N/A; Solar; documentation; copyright and license statement from core tree
LICENSE.mpi                   N/A; Ryan Lim, John Anderson, AoZ, magnum; documentation; authorship and license statement for MPI support patch, says that the patch is "licensed under the same terms as John the Ripper itself", which implies GPLv2
MARKOV                        unclear; bartavelle; documentation
MODES                         GPLv2; Solar; documentation
NETNTLM_README                unclear; JoMo-Kun; documentation
OFFICE                        unclear; Dhiru?; documentation
OPTIONS                       GPLv2; Solar, JimF, magnum; documentation; GPLv2 is implied since jumbo contributors were modifying the file by Solar available to them under GPLv2 only
README                        GPLv2; Solar; documentation
README-CUDA                   unclear; Lukas, myrice; documentation
README.bash-completion        unclear; Frank; documentation
README.mozilla                unclear; Dhiru?; documentation
README.mpi                    GPLv2; Ryan Lim, AoZ, magnum; documentation; GPLv2 is implied per LICENSE.mpi
README.opencl                 unclear; Samuele; documentation
README.pwsafe                 unclear; Dhiru?; documentation
RULES                         GPLv2; Solar et al.; documentation; additions in jumbo for "include" directive syntax, GPLv2 is implied since jumbo contributors were modifying the file by Solar available to them under GPLv2 only
SIPcrack-LICENSE              N/A; Martin J. Muench; documentation; Martin's copyright statement and 3-clause BSD license
pass_gen.Manifest             public domain + cut-down BSD fallback; JimF, magnum; documentation; we should make it clearer whether the notice at the start of pass_gen.Manifest applies to this documentation file itself or/and to the corresponding code (the current interpretation is that it applies to both)
pdfcrack_README               GPLv2+; Henning Noren; documentation; GPLv2+ is per pdfcrack license, this file also says that parts of pdfcrack code are "copyright 1995-2006 Glyph & Cog, LLC" and that "PDF data structures, operators, and specification" are copyrighted by Adobe, however "data structures" are probably not subject to copyright, and pdfcrack (and thus JtR) probably does not include the rest
pdfcrack_TODO                 GPLv2+; Henning Noren; documentation; GPLv2+ is per pdfcrack license

Alexander