Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:41:27 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Bug report: specific hex salted hash failure

Yes, this was a bug (recently introduced).  Included are patches for
bleeding (and memdbg) branch, and unstable branch.  Also fixed was a pretty
significant performance issue in valid().  We were always calling sprintf 10
times, on each candidate, even if there were not $$Fx values that 'should'
have been looked for.  Reworked the check of flags, so we ONLY do the
sprintf IF the format should contain one of those special salt sections.

NOTE, unstable and bleed required separate patches. There was a tiny
difference, that is now the same between the 2 branches, after this patch.

This was a bug triggered by an recent patch, working around the HDAA
crashing on bogus data, and that patch having incorrect logic.

From: magnum Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 15:28
>I realize now it *should* load without changing john.conf provided
>you say --format=dynamic_1007, which you tried... this may be a bug.
>Jim?

Download attachment "JtR_unstable_Dynamic_bare_hash_fix.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (2159 bytes)

Download attachment "JtR_bleed_Dynamic_bare_hash_fix.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (2105 bytes)