Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 16:54:50 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's daily status report #12

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:35:35PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 08/17/2012 10:59 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> > Done
> >
> > - built and tried some .deb with 64-bit johnny on the same 6 distros
> >   It still misses some fields.
>
> I don't understand what you mean with "It still misses some fields."
> Is it that those problems you mentioned in your daily report #11 for the
> 32bit build (and which you intend not to address during the last few
> GSoC days? If so, that's OK.

I mean I did not fill all fields in deb's control file. There are some
good fields to fill. It is not the same problem. It is totally .deb
specific.

> > Observations and problems
> >
> > - fedora, mageia and opensuse could not intall this .deb
> >   It seems they want .rpm.
>
> That's not surprising, given that these distributions are rpm based.
> Even if you had managed to install .deb packages, it would be
> questionable if the users of johnny would be able to do it.
>
> > - labels on left panel get "..." inside on small screens
> >   When Johnny's window is very small there is a scroll bar that
> >   reduces width and qt being unable to show full labels replaces parts
> >   with "..." so instead of "Passwords" user see "Pa...ds". Problem
> >   occurs on 640x480 monitors with two system panels (debian) or when
> >   user resizes window significantly.
>
> I think we can ignore this.
> Even on a 10" screen you'll have at least 1024x600 pixels, any "normal"
> screen would have at least 768 pixels vertically.

Problems is with height so 10" with its 600 pixels is worse then
640x480. Though it is not so important now.

And I am not sure how to fix because width is given by constant and it
affects appearance in some non-trivial ways. I think it needs time to
investigation.

> > - ubuntu warns that package is bad
> >   It is not nice. Maybe ubuntu wants size and license fields. Or maybe
> >   it complains on all packages not from official repo.
>
> I think it is the latter. There's not much you can do about it, except
> ask Solar if he'll sign that package with an Openwall key.
> Even in that case, most distributions will ask the root user whether he
> really trusts that key.
>
> > To do
> >
> > - add license files to .deb
> > - put "installed-size" field
> > - retry debian, mint, ubuntu
> > - investigate ubuntu if it still complains
> > - menu shortcuts
> > - .rpm
>
> I think you should put more effort on rpm based distributions now,
> because for .deb packages you meanwhile know that and how it works.

Ok. I'll postpone menu shortcuts. So before .rpm there will no
non-trivial things to do.

Thanks!

--
Regards,