Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 23:35:35 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's daily status report #12

On 08/17/2012 10:59 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> Done
>
> - built and tried some .deb with 64-bit johnny on the same 6 distros
>   It still misses some fields.

I don't understand what you mean with "It still misses some fields."
Is it that those problems you mentioned in your daily report #11 for the
32bit build (and which you intend not to address during the last few
GSoC days? If so, that's OK.

> Observations and problems
>
> - fedora, mageia and opensuse could not intall this .deb
>   It seems they want .rpm.

That's not surprising, given that these distributions are rpm based.
Even if you had managed to install .deb packages, it would be
questionable if the users of johnny would be able to do it.

> - labels on left panel get "..." inside on small screens
>   When Johnny's window is very small there is a scroll bar that
>   reduces width and qt being unable to show full labels replaces parts
>   with "..." so instead of "Passwords" user see "Pa...ds". Problem
>   occurs on 640x480 monitors with two system panels (debian) or when
>   user resizes window significantly.

I think we can ignore this.
Even on a 10" screen you'll have at least 1024x600 pixels, any "normal"
screen would have at least 768 pixels vertically.

> - ubuntu warns that package is bad
>   It is not nice. Maybe ubuntu wants size and license fields. Or maybe
>   it complains on all packages not from official repo.

I think it is the latter. There's not much you can do about it, except
ask Solar if he'll sign that package with an Openwall key.
Even in that case, most distributions will ask the root user whether he
really trusts that key.

> To do
>
> - add license files to .deb
> - put "installed-size" field
> - retry debian, mint, ubuntu
> - investigate ubuntu if it still complains
> - menu shortcuts
> - .rpm

I think you should put more effort on rpm based distributions now,
because for .deb packages you meanwhile know that and how it works.

Please let me know if you have an rpm package which I could test as well.

Frank